Two days ago, I turned 23! What an exciting birthday! (said no one ever). The glorious age of 23 is, in my opinion, highly underrated. It’s been an amazing year, which is why I’m giving you 23 things that have made this year awesome so far:
- I graduated from college! While sad, it was such an exciting accomplishment and something I worked very hard for throughout my four years at Bradley.
- So far this year, I have traveled to four states I had never been to before: Nevada, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and Virginia.
- We all got to experience every person we know dumping buckets of ice on their heads for charity.
- Oreo came out with a pumpkin spice flavor, sending sorority women everywhere into complete delight and excitement because who doesn’t love fall?!?
- Ellen Degeneres validated the selfie with the most epic selfie ever, a la Oscars 2014.
- I moved to a brand new state knowing absolutely no one!
- The YouTube video of the “Apparently Kid.” Enough said.
- This year was an Olympics year! There may have been some less than amazing things surrounding Russia 2014, but any event that brings so many countries together is a pretty great feat.
- According to the great and powerful Wikipedia, 2014 is the International Year of Family Farming and Crystallography. Get ready to celebrate!
- Disney’s Frozen may have come out in 2013, but I will forever remember this as the year of Let it Go. Every person with a set of vocal cords and a video camera performed his/her own version of the song.
- I got to see Celine Dion in concert and it was UNBELIEVABLE.
- This year, I joined the 21st century and finally got Snapchat. It was kind of a game changer.
- On Valentine’s Day this year, a beautiful and amazing thing happened to me: Season 2 of House of Cards.
- This year was one of the coldest and snowiest winters on record, resulting in multiple snow days spent drinking cocoa, watching movies, and spending time with my best friends.
- Someone thought it would be a good idea to make Cappuccino Lays.
- To make us all feel old, the Internet reminded us repeatedly that Mean Girls had its 10-year anniversary this year.
- It was also the 10th anniversary of the end of Friends: For a mega-fan such as myself, that was a little heartbreaking.
- It was a big year for the kids in my family: I graduated, my sister started college, and my brother joined a fraternity!
- If it weren’t for this year and the musical delights of Ingrid Michaelson, we wouldn’t know that, girls do, in fact, chase boys chase girls chase boys chase girls chase boys.
- Remember at the beginning of the year when the country ran out of Velveeta?? Who knew it was possible to have a shortage of something that is chemically created in a scientist’s lab?
- I left college with a job. It seems obvious, but not for our generation. I’m incredibly lucky.
- 2014 was the year that Miss America and I share the same name!
Last, but certainly not least, I have made some of the most unbelievably amazing friends and had some of the coolest experiences throughout this journey as an LC. I couldn’t ask for a better job or a better group of women to work with. Cheers to 23, and another amazing year!