Did you know: one blood donation can save the lives of up to three people?
I had the opportunity to participate in the University’s of Missouri’s annual Homecoming Blood Drive. I am not going to lie, I was a little nervous. But as I waited in line I received many encouraging text messages from chapter members, family and friends. It was pretty cool to see how many students were participating. Here are a few facts from the University of Missouri about what makes their blood drive so unique:
- It is the largest blood drive on a college campus.
- This year the American Red Cross collected 4,588 pints of blood. This will help at least 13,566 patients receive blood transfusions.
- During the four day blood drive the American Red Cross registered 7,230 individuals.
- The 100,000th donation was collected this year in Homecoming Blood Drive history.
- All the blood collected during the blood drive the week prior to the homecoming football game will be used by kickoff time.
The last fact was shocking to me! So, I encourage you all to reach out to the American Red Cross and find a blood drive near you. According to the American Red Cross, it is estimated that 38% of the U.S. population is eligible to donate but less than 10% do each year. Make a difference and donate to save three lives!
Dove love, Molly